Thursday, October 6, 2011

Kona Diary day 5: The Champ(s)!

friends and family,

It is getting close. I know because I am getting quiet. Unlike other big races though, what I am finding is a sense of calm. Inspecting what I expect of myself.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" Prefontaine

It is a star studded field here, the Superbowl of the sport. I mentioned in earlier posts about sipping coffee beside Olympic and world champions. Today I found calm in asking, 'what does it take to be Olympic Champion? To be world champion?" I then found these two guys and I must say, both were incredibly kind and nice to take the time and give a shout out.

Frodeno, yes that guy who outsprinted Simon in Beijing for Gold. I did tell him no one in Canada was cheering for him but we are happy for him all the same!


Chris McCormack (MACCA) 2 time Kona champ and an ITU World Champ in 1997. Also a huge boxing fan like me.


I suspect these boys, to be champs, go to places I will need to visit Saturday. I say thank you for the inspiration.

"If you are going to go through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill

It has been three years since my last Ironman. I was way more prepared, I was younger, but I was flat. I didn't want to be there. I was there out of habit, I wasn't there for the love of sport, for the places one goes to learn more of themselves, for the process of winning against only yourself. Today I found myself smiling out how inverse this experience is. I am so focused, happy, mentally prepared to go into myself and ask very, very dark questions but I am no where near fit like my mid 30's racing. 

"The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have" - Vince Lombardi

I have a great life. I have a great wife. I have great friends. I have a great job. I have health. I have healthy family around. I have my mom's spirit. 

"He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life" - Muhammad Ali

I hope I live up to what I have and do those that I trust and respect around me proud Saturday. I will take risks. I will be courageous in the battle. I will go to hell and back.  I have Welsh blood. I have Canadian blood. Those two pieces together create a proud fighter. I hope to be crowned CHAMP in my own battle with myself Saturday.

In Canada we say Game on.

In Wales we say Kick off.

In Ironman we say FINISH: "you can quit, but no one cares and you will always know" Collins, Ironman Founder




1 comment:

  1. Rhys,

    Your Blog from Hawaii has been great. As You know I have been blogging daily this week and people have thought that I am there . . but am not. However, you are right in the thick of it. Have a great one tomorrow. Don't over-think it - you'll do amazing.

    Thanks for linking my blog. Grateful.

    Best wishes,

    From me & Paolina

    ReplyDelete